China-Latina

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Unemployment has brought me closer to Once and Again

Last Saturday Youthlarge leant me her Once and Again Season 2 box set. For those of you who have not seen Once and Again, you're really missing out. I know, the premise seems a little, ahem, middle-aged. Who wants to watch a show about forty-somethings looking for a second chance at love? Um, I do..........because it RULES! Once and Again is the perfect marriage of everything I loved about thirtysomething when I was 12 and My So-Called Life when I was 18. Gorgeously awkward glimpses into the trials of adulthood and raising a family meshed with the angst of being in high school. Thank you Marshall Herskovitz and Edward Zwick! Oh, and kudos to Winnie Holzman too. JEWS! How I love them. And if you don't believe me, you should have been there for the potato kugel I made for Newell's Seder!

Once and Again is truly small screen magic. Last night around 3:30 AM I decided I had had enough for the night, but then I saw a trailer featuring none other than a certain Mister DB SWEENEY! God I love that guy. He's featured in all of the greats - Eight Men Out, the Cutting Edge and one of my personal favorites, Memphis Belle (a veritable night of a thousand stars!). I just love his big Irish head. Suffice it to say, I forced myself to stay awake for another ep.

I also really love Marin Hinkle. She's so vulnerable and damaged. I just want to give her a big hug and tell her "I know". I mean, basically, the supporting and guest cast are amazing. Steven Weber, Patrick Dempsey, Paul Mazursky, Adam Brody, Shane West, Evan Rachel Wood and JAMES ECKHOUSE (of Bev-Niner fame and who also occasionally directs).

Right now there's a great storyline involving Marin Hinkle and some hot sweaty carpenter / handyman type of guy. She's on the fence as to whether or not she likes him, though it's clear to everyone else, including me, that she's TOTALLY into him. She feels conflicted because she is a college educated uptown girl and he is a lowly carpenter who never even finished high school! It's possible that he's never even read Franny and Zooey - her favorite book! But you know, the sex was really great. And you know what else? I happen to think that he HAS read Franny and Zooey and won't that be a pleasant surprise for her? They totally did this same exact storyline on thirtysomething with Melanie Mayron's character and the guy she hired to paint her loft apartment, Lee Owens (played by Corey Parker). Gets me engrossed every time though.

1 Comments:

Blogger youthlarge said...

i like to call it my soccer mom show. my current soccer mom show is grey's anatomy. who cares though, cause as you mention, O&A rules! i can't wait for season 3 to come out on DVD. this was a great write up. now i want to call in sick and watch every episode back to back to back.

11 May, 2006 13:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home